Saturday, August 9, 2008

The Eyes Have It...

Saturday August 9, 2008





So that is what I look like...I put on my "blogger face"...according to my dear bride...when I come across things in the ordinary course of business that really bug me...and it happened to me just a few days ago at a local establishment...

...but of course I want to keep the name of this firm anonymous...it really doesn't add anything to the discussion...and I really do like the company and its products, and it has a great reputation...but it really drives me crazy when the most fundamental tasks at business cannot be accomplished well! arggh!

So here is the set-up to the situation I experienced...we went to this retail store prepared to spend some money...and most of the time my credit card charges are approved...provided they don't exceed $239.84...or the Chase Credit Card guys promptly call me to make sure that someone hasn't snagged my card and attempted to buy a new gizmo at Wal-Mart or something...and they are relentless when one of their "security alerts" is triggered...(note to self: I wish they could have been that vigilant when they do some other things, like, say...hand out mortgages to frauds, give zillion dollar bonuses to some doofus [sp?], etc.)...but I digress...again...darn!


...So at this lovely establishment, wood floors, nice music, bright windows and great displays, Ruthie and about 30 other people are rummaging around, feeling stylish and ready to spend...and we have some items and are feeling good...I mean, after all, the economy is in recession...but don't tell that to the 28 other shoppers that were all from Europe (seriously!)...they had to bring out an American cashier just to speak to us since everyone else was tied up with Euro-flush Continentals...and we saunter on up to the cashier...card and items in hand...maybe $200 worth...and we proceed to...wait...and wait...and wait...and five then ten minutes pass...and we have not moved...now mind you we are only 3 people from the two cashiers running...but in this ten minutes we have not moved and now Svetlana and Igor, Chas and Thelma and my other Nato friends have joined in the line...and it is looking like a bunch of Mennonites at a dance...all dressed up and no movement...nothing happening...


So patient fellow that I am...I stepped out of the line and went to observe what was going on in the rest of the store...since the Continentals weren't going anywhere since while they were in line the Euro went up another 2.5% vs. the dollar...they were content to be there all day...but I had places to go and people to see...so I notice three other employees in the immediate vicinity...all three are folding and straightening out items...but none are making a move to a cash register...and there are three empty stands within 15 feet of the employees...so I ask the young man...let's call him Ralph..."why don't you go open a register and take these people's money? It is, after all, the best part of being in business?" (I could have said the aforementioned encouragement to my young friend with sarcasm but really tried to refrain)...and he said "I have to maintain this table" and that was that...


So I went to another young person, turns out it is the shift manager...and let's call her Lauren...and I get the same answer...and she adds that the other two workers on the floor at the moment "are not qualified to cashier" and that she had "three ringers miss work today"...something about them attending a polo match...and she seemed very satisifed that this was a good enough answer...but noooooo...not for me...and while I told her that I understood the difficulties of managing employees that to make customers stand in line to pay you...a longgggggggggg (and lengthening) line...was just not good business, especially with the type of clientele that Ralph, Lauren and the rest of the gang at the store were wanting to attract...

Interestingly enough she actually had a possible solution in an aside she made to me...when she commented that she would "love to put up a sign at the cashier area that apologizes for the three employees being gone for the day" and maybe that would not have been too bad of an idea...explaining to the employees what had happened and why the cash registers were sitting gathering dust...rather than just letting customers come up with their own stories...

But at the end of the day management must find ways to take their customers money...easily...quickly...and properly...regardless if employees call in sick or have to have a pedicure or anything else...you just cannot do these kinds of things to customers...or they will no longer be your customers...because...

By my count there were at least ten other stores that were direct competitors of the fine establishment that I visited on Thursday...but a gentle suggestion to Ralph, Lauren, and the rest of the folks attending the polo match that day...don't ever make excuses when it comes to taking money when someone is trying to hand it to you...it is after all what is keeping you in business!


1 comment:

Dr. Dan Croy said...

Re: Oil crisis -- How fast can Detroit turn around with quality and low cost hybrids in a union environment?