Monday, January 26, 2009

Portugal Update #2

A Pacific Boy Bumps Into the Atlantic

...So here I am born and bred West Coast USA...spent four years aboard a cruiser in the Indian and Pacific Oceans and many seas...and always kind of viewed the Atlantic as a large lake...well except for that pesky iceberg thingy that Leo and Kate bumped into...and those notorious 25 foot seas...but go with me anyway OK...so today over a delicious fish luncheon I watched the crashing Atlantic from about 50 yards away...and let's just say that I have a newfound respect for the "pond" which makes me somewhat glad I was stationed out of San Diego and not Norfolk...

...so at Ericiera Portugal west of Mafra about 45 minutes from Lisbon...my dear friends Joe and Paula (and young Deborah as well!) and Otto and I drove a well-worn Opel...400,000+KM on the odometer...and visited a new restaurant for a traditional Portuguese luncheon...with linguica...bread...shrimp...octopus...and lovely white fish with vegetables...and more bread...and laughter...talking matters of life common to all of us...thank-you friends for the lunch!...

...It was quite an international day with some new Australian friends over pancakes and fruit...now living in Loures Portugal...

...most gracious people are Matt and Kiri and family...and they confirm in me the wonderful nature and friendship of our friends down under...and their talented pet 'roo Abner...quite lovely...check them out at http://www.vanders.org.au/...


...I read the news today, oh boy!...did you see the new Time Magazine cover?...hmmm quite interesting...a special report on the world economy with a cover picture of...(select correct answer below):

A. Vice-President Joe Biden

B. US Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke

C. Karl Marx, Father of Communist Economic Theory

...So with the running banner beneath saying..."The Return of Poverty"..."The Need for New Ideas"..."Citi's Troubled History"...the answer is (drum roll!)...
(hint: His picture is not only on this week's Time Cover but also on Sgt. Pepper)
...Karl Marx...yeahhh!!!!!...whoooooooo!!!!....boy howddddeeeee!!!!...we need some new ideas!!!..

...So Time encourages us in their special report "What Would Marx Think?"... to ponder some important questions...such as..(actual quotations here)...
"Rethinking Marx: As we work out how to save capitalism, it's worth studying the system's greatest critic"...or how about this one..."If you leave aside the prescriptive parts of Marx's writings, there's a trenchant diagnosis of the problems that are even relevant today"...so you see I had to go look up that tricky word 'trenchant' cause I can't say I have used it in the blog recently...and discovered it synonyms...
WELL THANK-YOU VERY MUCH TIME MAGAZINE! I AM ALL OVER THIS ONE!
Excuse me now...I need to go change out of my clothes...as I think I must have spilled a warm drink on my trousers!...but no fear...the government shall purchase me a new pair!...it gives a whole new meaning to "bail out!"






No comments: