Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Back in the Saddle Again...by Randy M. Ataíde

Well, my my, it has been a long time! My sincere apologies, and I simply cannot believe it has been...gulp!...four years since I have posted here! A lot has transpired and I apologize to anyone (students, alums, colleagues, Pulitzer Prize Committee, etc.) , who has wondered where I went during this absence...

Back in 2010 my work changed at PLNU in that we re-organized the Center I led...and it was changed to a Business and Economic Institute and it has been a blur of a great deal of work and energy and creativity during these years. I am grateful for that time and opportunity, and I think we really have accomplished a lot in providing PLNU the leading university based Institute in our fields in San Diego, and one of the most influential ones in the U.S. I also accomplished some academic writing in economics, entrepreneurship, and began to teach a new class on negotiations for MBA's, for which I wrote the curriculum...a lot has gone on! The office also created a fairly active blog to which I contributed to as well, so "Ontrapranur" was neglected...

But effective January 1, 2014, I resigned from full-time work at PLNU...and the past months have been good as I have made this transition...still teaching a bit and doing some consulting...and more traveling...but it was a good time to make a change and I am confident that the Institute at PLNU is better than ever!


So this means that I will start writing on topics of interest to me again...and as the title of the blog means it will be items that reflect a voice that is "broadly speaking" for I profess interest in many things but no great expertise in many of them. For example, I have always been fascinated by things as diverse as time travel, physics, medieval languages, etymology, myth, and psychology...but really have much training in any of them...what I do have is an eye for interesting things and a fascination for how and why things work...and I think this comes out in my teaching and relationship to students...


A great result of the change in my routine has been that I am going for long walks...typically 5-8 miles three or four times a week but as long as 15 miles...and a few weeks ago I purchased a beach cruiser bicycle and so have been riding as well...in the Mission Beach and Pacific Beach area...and these times by myself have been incredibly invigorating...seeing details and items that I easily miss by passing through quickly...the hours alone have been wonderful and i am savoring these days and the time to think, pray, listen to the radio, and simply see people on my daily journeys...

So be well and stay tuned...more to come!

No comments: