Monday, November 23, 2009

Confusing Times for Schools...

"So here's to you, Mrs. Robinson...but only if she is a recruiter for a company that actually is looking for an employee...or two...well, maybe just one...the answer isn't so simple any longer...unless the advice to get into plastic is about using your charge cards to live on...so I have been thinking and reading about this issue a great deal...since I am a bidnez perfeser and all of that...

...so where has my inquisitive mind taken me? Straight to the venerable School of Business...the bastion of excellence and honor and scholarship and...well you get the point...ant there are plenty of critics and pundits and observers who have a plan...often it comes down to just blowing the whole thing up...


...I for one don't necessarily think that blowing everything up is the answer...but for the folks outside of Californye-yeah...perhaps you have missed what is going on with our famed public education system...with students at UC Berkeley below showing their "support" for the huge increase in tuition... (can you say over 30% increases in a single year? Sounds like a third world country)...but I actually think it is more about a collapse of government and leadership than anything else...

...So I have been researching about the University system for the past 18 monhts and now am writing about the Schools of Business for the past month...and almost done with a paper...but if you want to read about things from Harhvahd's point of view check out...http://hbswk.hbs.edu/item/6053.html for a discussion of the future of the MBA...and while I think HBS is getting some things correct they are missing the point on some others...

...and that is the purpose of the paper I am writing...and hope to finish soon...because as strange as it may sound...I think part of the answer to what is ailing our Universities generally...and the School of Business specifically...can be answered by listening to...can't believe it...hard to say...errrr...ummm....listening to...lawyers! ...Yes, I think that if the Schools of Bidnez can incorporate a few things from law schools that things would improve...

...and I am going to start with the suggestion that we can start wearing the really cool berber rugs that Her Majesty's advocates get to don...and the great napkin around their necks...far more prestigious than our simple black robes...well, just kidding...but there are some things we could learn and apply from other professional schools...

...so in the coming days I hope to finish the article and post a blog copy sometime in the near future...which I am sure will lead to its publication in Harvard Business Review...or Mad Magazine...one or the other is just fine with me! Have a wonderful day!

No comments: